Saturday, July 31, 2010

Public Transportations

That is something that I rarely use. Not because I always take the car or never leave my home, but rather because every place I have to go is usually quite accessible with my bike. So I ride that.
For some places, though to none of those I (have to) go in regular intervals, I take the car instead if I don't find it easy enough to take the bike. Or sometimes when the weather is bad or I have to take along stuff that I couldn't safely transport with my bike, then I too resort to the car.

Also noteworthy is that I have no car of my own. I mean, I don't work yet (so financing it would be .. a little hard) and as said, so far I can go everywhere by bike. The car I take otherwise is one of my parents two cars.
This of course implies, that the car is free at this specific moments and that I am not away for too long.
This seminar I had was neither easily accessible by bike, nor could I take the car, so public means of transportation were called for.


As I said, I don't use them often. The internet supplied me with a quick search for when to take what train and where I have to change trains so that I can arrive in time.
Sadly I was dumb enough not to read too carefully, and upon the only change of trains I catched the wrong one. Without noticing.
Shortly before the final destination it was called out, that the train has to halt some stations before, because of some renovations and that instead a rail replacement service will be provided.


For simplicity I will call the final destination city FD (as in Final Destination), the one I got to with the train X and the one I had to get to D (as in Destination).

I got in that bus, which drove me to FD. This city however was not where I am supposed to be. I thought that the bus might have skipped my destination and looked for a train back to X, though I could not find one.
I phoned the organizer of the seminar, reporting that I will get there a bit later. The woman on the phone also told me, that I was in a rather small city and it would have been better if I'd have 'stranded' at some other city like X instead. She proposed taking a Taxi, though I wouldn't get that money back (since I am forced by law to take this seminar, I can recollect the money I needed for the travel).

I saw that the bus I came with was still there, so I asked the driver if he knew how I can get to D, though he didn't even know that city. The bus is circilng between those two destinations (FD and X) and I was like, hey, that woman said that I can get to D from X, so I took the bus back again, looked at the train plan and violá 10min. to go.

I waited 10 minutes, but there was just another train in the wrong direction. I looked at the plan again and found out, that this specific train only goes on weekends. Damn.
Though a little further was another going to D, also driving workdays.
So I waited again and finally arrived at D.


With a small detour I got where I was supposed to go, just in time for lunch. Since I reported that I would not arrive in time, there also weren't any hard feelings.

As I got there the second time (since I was able to go home on the weekend), the mistake became clear to me.
I looked on the Internet again to find out if I did something wrong and checked at that point where I had to change trains and, well, it turned out that I took one train too early.
This time I took the right one and arrived with no difficulties on time.


This experience made me much more confident with using public means of transportation.
At the first ride I felt kinda insecure and was worried that I'd take the right trains 'n stuff, but you can easily just check the plans - or if you really do get lost somewhere you just look how to get back to the next bigger station, since most likely you'll get a train to your desired destination there.

No comments: