Friday, April 16, 2010

defective computer

My computer, yet again, crapped out. This time it's my primary hard drive.
It kinda works fine, but after a few minutes it simply vanishes from Windows and that of course hangs the system. If I do a warm restart, even my BIOS will not see it, if I however do a cold restart it is detected again.

My Linux Desktop Manager is not functioning from the previous error I had, but through the terminal I could see that my HDD actually seems to work just fine.

I'm getting kinda worried that the chipset or something is not working properly, thus if I'd now buy a new HDD that something else might break.

So I decided to look around for a replacement. However I actually wanted to wait until GPGPUs are getting popular, so I am looking for laptops.
Nothing really fast, but capable for Games (Source-games in medium graphics quality, no AA) and good RAM, since IDEs tend to take a good share of that, plus around 500GB of disk space, since coding projects do occupy some space...


I actually planned to make a small post about a song with sweet lyrics (german) I found, but that'll just follow tomorrow or something.


P.S.: I will not get a macbook >:(
For one, I don't get around too well with the Desktop Enviroment (though you could probably change that) and the keyboard is just horrible IMO, as well as especially the (default) key layout.

No comments: