Thursday, March 11, 2010

OpenGL 4.0

Today, the specs of OpenGL 4.0 (and GLSL 4.00) were released. I didn't go through all changes yet (the OpenGL spec is almost 400 pages long! and the GLSL spec additional 100 pages), but what I've seen so far appeals.
Though I still have to learn how this weird packing data into one integer-thing works. I don't know what the name is, but HistoPyramids, which I investigated on a few days ago and didn't understand, seems to be a similar technique.

Well, so what made me make this post is the statement, that Khronos will add extensions to OpenGL 3(.3) to make as much of the OpenGL 4.0-features possible with older hardware.
So then I thought, what hardware actually supports OpenGL 3? And well, all ATi/AMD 2xxx or higher and the nVidia 8000-series or higher (didn't care about Intel and what not).
So I will look into the OpenGL 3-stuff I need/want to use and look if OpenGL 2 supports it through extensions and finally port ViruZ to use OpenGL 2 instead.

btw, the port from cairo to OpenGL is harder than thought. This time to actually finish coding the game, I took the idiom "Make a game, not an engine", thus the cairo-stuff is all over the place and not hidden behind some interface.
Well, my fault after all, since you should stick with your decision if you use that idiom.

No comments: