Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year!

Looking back at 2008 I wonder how fast the time has passed.
What I achieved.. I can't exactly remember, but it includes opening up a blog and posting something almost every month! The one exception is April, but I made 22 posts in 11 month (I started February, so no posts on January). My friends' blog didn't come along that well.. And considering the number of viewers/reader of my blog, then it probably didn't come along well, too. But whatever.
I bought two books about C++. One reference and "Effective C++" by Scott Meyers. That book it definitely worth reading! It taught me quite some things I've always had questions about.
I bought the Orange Box - definitely worth its money, although I'm not that a big player.
I joined some Source-modding teams, left some, began some personal project and even completed one. That was a Tic-Tac-Toe... let's hope the next project, zat, will be finished or in a close-to-finished state.

Speaking of zat, I made some progress in networking. I thought of completing the main-features first, so I have a somewhat working chat before making this scripting-system. I think transmitting messages already works, but I didn't have a chance to test it over the internet.

And then I turned 18, which means I have more freedom, but also more responsibility.

I was in love for the first time. It came very unexpected, and actually already started in 2007. Disregarding that, it was quite an experience. Something I will never forget. I ended the relationship for the good of both of us.
Being a nerd it really is difficult to actually spare enough time, but somehow I managed it. What was tearing us apart were simply the differences.
We didn't have much to talk about and when we found some interesting discussion she was mad at me for having better arguments. I could help with her problems, she couldn't really help me. Then she was complaining about too little conversation, while I tried to explain her that when we have something to talk about she usually gets mad or she is too tired (she's really sleepy) and so I finally couldn't bear seeing her like this. We probably both felt misunderstood and too left alone from the other side.
We are still friends, but thinking about this time makes me feel alone inside.

Speaking of bad things, I know that I could have done more for school. Much more, but it's a thing probably everybody thinks about and finally doesn't do much more.

As New Year's resolutions I want to be more like a few years ago. Which basically means being more restrained - I became more self-confident than it is good for my mind. I also want to work out more regular, but that probably won't happen.

So, getting to the actual festival itself. As a friend of mine said yesterday, New Year's Eve is overrated. The earth spins around the whole time (he didn't prove that though, although I asked :P). I am with him, but humans tend to simply like parties, as they are fun and you see your friends or even make new ones.
Some (many) people also like to drink to heighten their party-spirit or summin'.
But that's not what a festival is about, is it? You actually shall remember what ever happened this day. Well, in this case you probably shall look back and see, what happened this year and what you have archived and looking to the new year, to think about one's New Year's resolutions. But that isn't really done. Instead you party and talk/sing/whatever with your friends 'n stuff.

But well, I've been writing on this blog-post quite a while (more than half an hour!), and I want to do some other stuff today, so have a fulfilling new year!

No comments: